Thursday, April 30, 2015

ROSIE NGUYEN – Speech at Fall of Saigon 2015 Memorial


Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen. I am honored for the opportunity to stand up here and speak to you today. I would like to share my thoughts and feelings about the April 30th memorial.
When I come to the April 30th memorial every year, I am very saddened by the lack of attendance from the younger generation in the Vietnamese community. The reason why I choose to attend this event every year is because I moderately understand the historical and cultural significance of this date. When I was a little girl, my father would tell me stories about when he was a soldier for the South Vietnamese forces…and my mother would tell me stories about when she was a boat refugee. Over time, they would educate me about more details regarding the war…like why it happened, who was involved, and what the outcome was. They emphasized that this was an essential part of my identity, and I must never forget why I am here in America instead of my homeland.
However, when I talk to other Vietnamese-Americans, they appear oblivious to what the Fall of Saigon means. This is disheartening, because they are forgetting their identity. It is alarming to think that someone around my age could look at the yellow flag with 3 red stripes and then the red flag with a yellow star…and not understand the difference between the two. We need to do something about this…now.
As a member of the younger Vietnamese-American generation, I urge all of you, as my elders, to teach your family about the Vietnam War. You are the only people left that can ensure that the history and legacy of South Vietnam does not fade away and disappear. As a mother, father, aunt, uncle, grandmother, and grandfather who survived and witnessed the tragedies caused by the Viet Cong – please inform and educate your children and grandchildren about what our people had to overcome.
I know that looking back and re-telling about the Vietnam War brings back painful memories. But what about your brothers and sisters who were killed so unjustifiably during the war? Can you allow them to die in vain and be forgotten by future generations?

This is exactly what the Viet Cong wants. They want all of the descendants of the refugees who fled from Vietnam to forget about their history. They want Vietnam to forever be ruled by Communism, but it won’t. Because the Vietnam in our hearts will never belong to them…as long as we sustain the legacy of South Vietnam. Please…please pass on this vital part of history to your children and grandchildren. 
Do NOT let them forget where they came from and why they are here today. The Vietnam War may be over, but we are still fighting a war with the communists everyday. And they will NOT win this war.”

No comments:

Blog Archive